Monday, June 17, 2013

Closet Transformation

I have been recently ranting to my friends about how messy my closet is, and I finally have done something about it! Here's the deal, my closet is not big enough for all of the clothes I have managed to hoard throughout the years, so I have taken over the guest room closet with everything from winter clothes (light jackets, remember Texas has no Winter) to things I need to consign. I took it upon myself to organize all my shirts shoes and dresses. I started by taking out all my shirts, and color coding them. I    put the whites in one pile and put the whitest white on top, and the ivory on the bottom of the pile, moved on to the greens, continued with the oranges, reds, purples and the few yellow shirts. Then, I moved on to the worst and hardest colors to organize, pink and blue. I have written before that a lot of my clothes are blue and pink, but until you have meticulously thought if coral should be in the middle of the pink section or at the beginning of the red, you do not know how hard closet organizing truly is. 
I had piles and piles of colors! At first, it seemed fun, but the deeper I organized through the color spectrum, the more exhausted I got. But then, I remembered how organized the closets on Pinterest were, and I carried on with my organization, and made a mental note that I needed to 1.) a bigger closet and 2.) limit myself on how much blue I purchase and 3.) get a better organization system so I don't have to do this again anytime soon. Here is the final product of part 1 of the finished product: 
As you can see, my closet is still a hot mess, and still teeny tiny. The thing I hate about my closet is the fact that I have to push a whole rack of hangers just to get to one piece that is in the very back. Now, let me show you the shoe section. 

This was a before. Please excuses the rollerblades in the corner, I don't even know why those are in my closet. Unlike the clothes section of my closet, I actually do organize my shoes, but over time I just didn't organize at all. Like my clothes, I color coded my shoes, and I actually ran out of room and had to stack shoes on top of each-other (another sign I need a bigger closet). Here was what the end result looked like: 

There's one rack 

And another. By the time I got to this section, I was stacking shoes. The ones on the bottom are shoes I haven't worn in a long time, and probably should consign. 
My closet also needs lighting. Badly. 


The neutrals

The not so neutrals. 

The heels, obviously the YSL's got all the space they needed, and the LUCKY and Vince Camuto's were a little squished. I have most of my heels in the other closet. 

The finished product. 

Now, onto the dress side of the closet.
Forgot to take a before, but here is an after. 

Tips on how to organize your closet: 
1.) If you are color coding your closet like I did, rotate the colors in the back with the ones in the front. For example, in a couple months, everything will be reversed so I am not just wearing what's in the front, and to switch everything up. 
2.) At one point, when I was extra organized I used to have all my clothes on pink hangers, but hangers accumulated and the hangers are all mixed up now. Having color coordinated hangers makes everything look pretty put together and gives your closet a cleaner look. 
3.) For pants and slacks, there are hangers that allow you to hang multiple items, I have these for belts, and I do recommend! 
4.) Every summer, I put the fall items in the back and bring in the bright cheery summer colors! Switching it up will keep everything seasonal! 
5.) IKEA has some pretty awesome storage stuff, it's at a pretty good price. 

XOXO! -T






No comments:

Post a Comment